Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hey all,

I know it's been a horribly long time since I posted. I have been sewing lots, just too busy... well, no, I'm not too busy to post. I'm too intimidated to post, really. I read so many fantastic sewing blogs and they are productive, well edited, entertaining to read... It's a high bar to hit! But I've got something easy to post about today, and it's not the fact that I sewed my first zipper today! Though I'm really ridiculously proud about that (it was a fly zip, even!).

Nope, I'm posting cause I have a new love, and it is the Great British Sewing Bee. The official link is here, but you can't watch it unless you are in the UK. The rest of us have to be content with the YouTube version, and as the BBC doesn't seem to inclined to yank it, I think they understand. It's all about 8 awesome sewers competing for recognition as "Britain's best home sewer", and it's just adorable. I mean, I love all the contestants, I love the premise, and I love how they plot out the shows. Each round (and there's only 4, I'm already desperate for the next season) consists of 3 challenges: 1) follow a new to you pattern well, starting with a simple A-line skirt and progressing to a man's shirt, 2) alter a ready made piece of clothing to something new and interesting, which is something I particularly love doing, and 3) create a well tailored garment to a model (using a pattern they've practiced and are familiar with). All of the contestants are interesting, well rounded people with great sewing skills, and I feel like I've learned a lot and been really inspired to get up and sew more.

Also, they use the word haberdashery in casual conversation. How can you argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment